Beer, wine, cocktails: here are all of the essentials to tempt you out of the house this month.
- Don’t forget it’s World Class Cocktail Week! There are over 30 cocktail-centric events, both big and small, happening around Melbourne. Go try something new and near guaranteed to be delicious (or at the very least a conversation starter).
Sunday 7th to Saturday 13th May / Various locations / Details
2. The Bitters Lab is hosting Bad Frankie and Bar Liberty’s Nick Tesar as he teaches a tutorial in tonic. Their DIY Tonic Masterclass will show you how to make tonic syrups at home and how to take your G&Ts to the next level.
Thursday 11th May / Fitzroy / Details
3. It’s almost Good Beer Week and there’s a plethora of interesting things to taste, see and hear…even if you’re not a big fan of hops and malt and brewed goods.
Friday 12th to Sunday 21st May / Various locations / Details
4. There’s nothing like bunkering down in front of the fireplace at a good old pub for a few pints or bottles with friends in Winter. Get ready for the season ahead and find your new haunt hit-list at the Time Out Melbourne Pub Awards.
Monday 15th May / Collingwood / Bookings
5. Raise a dram to World Whisky Day. And take a trip to Starward‘s distillery for a tour, a special celebratory cocktail, a food truck lunch and other surprises. Quick; limited spaces left!
Saturday 20th May / Port Melbourne / Bookings
6. Boilermaker House have invited Lark – one of the true pioneers of craft and whisky distilling in Australia – along for a very special session. Lark Distillery 25 Years of Whisky Revolution will be full of information and exclusive tastings.
Tuesday 23rd May / Melbourne CBD / Bookings
7. For something a little less serious how about whisky trivia?! The Whisky Social are hosting a trivia night at Captains of Industry. I’m not sure if the whisk(e)y will actually help us win or if it will just make us feel smarter.
Wednesday 24th May / Melbourne CBD / Bookings
8. Here’s your chance to get into one of the Humble Tumbler‘s wildly popular masterclasses. There’s literally two places left (at time of publishing) to Gin 101, co-hosted with The Gin Queen. Taste eight gins and learn enough about all things juniper to impress your mates/future dates.
Thursday 25th May / Venue TBC / Bookings
9. May is officially Aussie Wine Month and local drops are obviously the star of the show. There are a collection of happenings across Victoria from the Young Gun of Wine Award celebrations, to Shaw + Smith moving their entire Adelaide Hills winery to Fitzroy (kinda), there will even be tastings on a train!
Throughout May Various locations / Various locations / Details
10. The Craft & Co‘s Gin Botanical Masterclass starts with a G&T and only gets better from there. Try a range of craft gins, learn about native botanicals and see exactly how gin is made with Artemis Gin and the Craft & Co’s very own in-house distiller Sebastian Reaburn.
Thursday 1st June / Collingwood / Bookings
Hosting something fascinating in June or July? Do let us know so we can invite the best people: firstname.lastname@example.org