Wine boilermakers are coming to Starward
Here’s your monthly round up of the best ways to quench your thirst in Melbourne.
- Hello World Cider Day 2017. Flying Brick Cider Co is hosting a whole day of celebrations including old school covers (just embrace it), tastings, cider slushies and cider making demonstrations. Daylesford Cider Company is going a little more relaxed with tastings, mulled cider and free cider with your meal. Coldstream Brewery is offering mulled cider and cider cocktails (yes to both). And, your closest option to town, Forester’s is pouring cheap as chips Willie Smith’s plus mulled cider.
Saturday 3rd June / Various locations / Details
2. Starward is going beyond the boilermaker. Teaming up with the good folk at The Hidden Sea, they are pioneering whisky and wine (and canape) pairing at this one day only double-duty cellar door takeover. Complimentary wine tasting will continue afterward in the whisky garden.
Sunday 4th June / Port Melbourne / Bookings
3. Savour a G&T as you witness five finalists battling it out at the Artemis Gin Cocktail Final at The Craft & Co. They’ll be presenting their original ideas for a new gin, the winner of which will be released in September. You weren’t doing anything better on a Monday winter’s night anyway.
Monday June 5th / Collingwood / Details
4. Gin. Campari. Vermouth. It must be Negroni Week once again! Drink a negroni at one of 78 venues in Victoria this week and you’ll be supporting one of many charitable causes like Oz Harvest, United Cerebral Palsy or Muttville Senior Dog Rescue.
5th to 11th June / Various locations / Details
5. Learn how to make gin cocktails, about gin history and modern takes on juniper at The Bitters Lab’s ‘Gin Cocktail Masterclass with Four Pillars‘. Enjoy a drink on arrival, cocktail and Four Pillars tastings (including their infamous Bloody Shiraz gin).
Thursday 8th June / Fitzroy / Details
6. How you spend World Gin Day really depends on how thirsty you are (for knowledge as well as juniper). Henry & the Fox is hosting a Nordic gin winter masterclass featuring Finland’s Kyro Gin. The Melbourne Gin Company are taking over Mountain Goat Brewery for their own G&T fueled masterclass. The Craft & Co’s own distillery is collaborating with Artemis and West Winds for many a tasting at ‘One Day, Three Distillers, One Gin‘. Captain Baxter is putting on ‘A Variety of Gins‘ a masterclass and 3 course dinner plus canapes with gins from Lark, West Winds, Blind Tiger and Melbourne Gin Co. Papa Goose is teaming up with Bass & Flinders for a four course dinner and sampling of a yet-to-be released gin. Taxi Kitchen and Artemis present a five course ‘Let the Gin BeGin‘ lunch with five matched gin cocktails and gin made exclusively for the event. Meanwhile Bohemian Bar and Archie Rose up the ante with six Spanish courses for dinner matched with six gins or cocktails. Otherwise, keep it easy and visit Waterslide for 10% off their gins any way you like it, two for one Dodd’s Kew G&Ts and tastings.
Saturday 10th June / Various locations / Details
7. Rutherglen’s Winery Walkabout is a festival of wine sipping, music, tours, markets, food trucks, masterclasses and wine dining. There are plenty of shuttles the take you from winery to winery too (so you don’t have to fight over who will be the designated driver)!
10th & 11th June / Rutherglen / Details
8. The top twelve finalists for the Young Gun of Wine Awards are showcasing what they’ve got at the People’s Choice Award at Bellota. Meet the makers, try their wines and vote! If you’re fond of making new wine discoveries first, this one’s for you.
Monday 19th June / South Melbourne / Bookings
Did we miss anything delicious? Hosting an event in July/August 2017? Let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rutherglen Winery Walkabout might be the only thing to tempt us out into the cold
Try Four Pillar’s Shiraz-infused gin at Bitters Lab
A toast to good karma at Negroni Week