We’ve got fancy gins, award-winning bars and boozy recipe books to add to your collection this month…
- The Noble Bootleggers Distilling Co (out of The Noble Experiment bar) now have an online store from which you can purchase their experimental gins and aged bottled cocktails.
- The Cliveden has released its own in-house gin (in collaboration with with Bass & Flinders distillery). Featuring Mediterranean and Australian botanicals, the gin can be tried as part of the Cliveden’s “signature drink ritual” in which the cocktail of the month can only be tried after 6pm mixed up via retro drink trolley.
- The Best Hotel Bar in the nation is TWR (Perth) and the Best Minibar can be pillaged at Macq01 (Hobart) according to Gourmet Traveller’s Australian Hotel Guide Awards. Time for a roadtrip methinks.
- The Wineslinger Awards is a brand new initiative for the Young Gun of Wine Awards. From 300 nominations, 50 wine-centric bars, pubs and restaurants have been shortlisted by 100 wine experts. The winners will be revealed June 18. You can vote for your favourite here.
- Fitzroy’s beloved pintxos bar and rooftop Naked for Satan has released a cookbook – inventively titled Naked for Satan – complete with a bunch of their cocktail recipes.
- New goodies we want to try this month: Since foods with hemp in them became legal in Australia late last year the rush has been on to create gin with a hemp as botanical. Nonesuch Distillery has created a hemp gin they say is “nutty, earthy and buttery”. Sydney’s Hemp Gin is hot on their heels. / Bass & Flinders’ new season Winter Gin featuring apple brandy and warming spices. / The most expensive non-vintage Australian wine is a decadent tawny port by McLaren Vale’s d’Arenberg that averages over 50 years. It’s called Daddy Long Legs (after the critters who hung around the barrels all those years) and it’s housed in a spidery sculpture! / Intrigued by The Mist Black Truffle Gin; a limited edition is dropping soon. This tipple could be dirty martini bound?
Got some special Australian craft spirits or cocktail culture news to share? Let us spread the word: email@example.com