Mead. Moonshine. Whiskey. Tequila. Cocktails. Good Beer Week 2016 will surprise you with what on offer rather than hops and froth. Here’s our guide to this year’s beer festival for spirits aficionados.
1. Wilfred’s Bar (the sometimes open bar above The Local Taphouse) has teamed up with Garage Project’s head brewer to make beer cocktails. Trust me beer can be a wonderful mixology ingredient.
Monday 16th May, 6pm onwards. 184 Carlisle Street, St Kilda. More info.
2. For their beer cocktails Eau de Vie has chosen Feral Brewing brews. A five course degustation dinner accompanies just a many beer-tastic tipples. This one is unmissable.
Wednesday 18th May, 7-10pm. 1 Malthouse Lane, Melbourne. Book tickets.
3. Moonshine and American beer matching? We’re game for this celebration of all things Yankee at one of Melbourne’ newest bars Freddie Wimpoles. We have been promised beef jerky.
Thursday 19th May, 6pm onwards. 125 Fitzroy Street, St Kilda. More info.
4. Moonlight Meadery taking over Red Hill Brewery is a good reason to go south. There will be live mead making and over 30 meads to taste! Be nice to your designated driver and buy them a bottle for later.
Thursday 19th May, 12-5pm. 88 Shoreham Road, Red Hill South. Book tickets.
5. Brooklyn Brewery and Tequila Tromba are meeting up at The Kodiak Club for much tasting and you’re invited to join. The combination of beer and tequila is sure to lead to a lazy Saturday indeed.
Saturday 21st May, 3.30-4.30pm, 272 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Book tickets.
6. Good Beer Week has reached peak boilermaker. 1806 explores globe-trotting boilermakers. Atticus Finch serves up their all-Australian boilermaker line-up with blues. Kaiju! beer and Archie Rose distillery mix things up at Boilermaker House. Slowbeer‘s Good Beer Week boilermakers now come with added picklebacks. And while we have no idea what with Shizuku is up to with their mysterious “ramen boilermaker”, if Starward whisky is involved it’s likely to be very good.
Various times. Various locations. More info.